Use the media creation tool to download Windows. This tool provides the best download experience for customers running Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.
Here are a few useful guides we've written to guide you in the process of reinstalling Windows, all of these use the Media Creation Tool for different purposes:
- Reinstall Windows 10 Without Deleting Your Software, Files or Settings
- How to Find Your Original Windows 10 Product Key
- Windows To Go: How to Install and Run Windows 10 from a USB Drive
- How to Backup USB Drives and Restore Them, Bootable State and All
Why do I need the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool?
The Media Creation Tool allows you to create installation media (USB drive or DVD) to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10.
The tool will guide you through the process and present the options and files you might need to get the best installation experience. If you're not sure which files are required to install Windows 10, this tool is your best option.
Can I use the Microsoft Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes, the Media Creation Tool can be used to install Windows 10 for the first time or upgrade from a previous Windows version. You will need a valid Windows 10 license to complete the process.
Can I use this tool to upgrade to Windows 11?
Microsoft offers a specific installation / media creation tool for Windows 11. You can download the Microsoft Windows 11 Installation / Media Creation Tool here.
This tool includes:
- File formats optimized for download speed.
- Built in media creation options for USBs and DVDs.
- Optional conversion to ISO file format.
Using the tool to upgrade this PC to Windows 10
- You have a license to install Windows 10 and are upgrading this PC from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
- You need to reinstall Windows 10 on a PC you've already successfully activated Windows 10.
Before you install Windows 10, check to make sure your PC meets the system requirements for Windows 10. We also recommend going to the PC manufacturer's website for any additional info about updated drivers and hardware compatibility
Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or IS O file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC
Follow these steps to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10. Before you download the tool make sure you have:
- An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
- Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
- A blank USB flash drive with at least 5 GB of space or blank DVD (and DVD burner) if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.
- When burning a DVD from an ISO file, if you are told the disc image file is too large you will need to use Dual Layer (DL) DVD Media.
Check a few things on the PC where you want to install Windows 10:
- 64-bit or 32-bit processor (CPU). You'll create either a 64-bit or 32-bit version of Windows 10. To check this on your PC, go to PC info in PC settings or System in Control Panel, and look for System type.
- System requirements. Make sure the PC meets the system requirements for Windows 10. We also recommend going to the PC manufacturer's website for additional info about updated drivers and hardware compatibility.
- Language in Windows. You'll need to choose the same language when you install Windows 10. To see what language you're currently using, go to Time and language in PC settings or Region in Control Panel.
- Edition of Windows. You should also choose the same edition of Windows. To check what edition you're currently running, go to PC info in PC settings or System in Control Panel, and look for Windows edition. Windows 10 Enterprise isn't available in the media creation tool. For more info, go to the Volume Licensing Service Center.
- Microsoft Office products. If you just purchased a new device that includes Office 365, we recommend redeeming (installing) Office before upgrading to Windows 10. For more information, check How to upgrade to Windows 10 on new devices that include Office 365.
This table will help you decide which edition of Windows 10 you'll choose:
|Your current edition of Windows||Windows 10 edition|
|Windows 7 Starter
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 8.1 with Bing
Windows 10 Home
|Windows 10 Home|
|Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro
Windows 8.1 Pro
Windows 8/8.1 Professional with Media Center
Windows 10 Pro
|Windows 10 Pro|
|Windows 8/8.1 Single Language
Windows 8 Single Language with Bing
|Windows 10 Home Single Language|
|Windows 8/8.1 Chinese Language Edition
Windows 8 Chinese Language Edition with Bing
|Windows 10 Home China|
|Windows 10 Home||Windows 10 Home|
|Windows 10 Pro||Windows 10 Pro|
Recent Media Creation Tool news
Media Creation Tool is featured in...
Software similar to Media Creation Tool 7
Create bootable USB drive for ISO files.
One of the best tools to create bootable USB drives, the easy way. Works for Windows, Linux, DOS, UEFI and ARM.
The media creation tool can be used to upgrade your current PC to Windows 11 or to create a USB or DVD and install Windows 11 on a different PC.
YUMI lets you create a Multiboot USB Flash Drive containing multiple OS, antivirus utilities, disc cloning, diagnostic tools, and more.
More similar downloads